Logback doesn't work with SLF4J?

Ralph Goers
I have a test that is trying to use SLF4J 1.8.0-alpha1 and am getting the error below - which implies that SLF4J doesn’t work with Logback. Why isn’t the SLF4J binding backward compatible?

SLF4J: No SLF4J providers were found.
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#noProviders for further details.
SLF4J: Class path contains SLF4J bindings targeting slf4j-api versions prior to 1.8.
SLF4J: Ignoring binding found at [jar:file:/Users/rgoers/.m2/repository/ch/qos/logback/logback-classic/1.2.2/logback-classic-1.2.2.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]

Ralph

Re: Logback doesn't work with SLF4J?

Ceki Gulcu

I think this is explained in:

   http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#ignoredBindings

and

   https://www.slf4j.org/faq.html#changesInVersion18

On 23.04.2017 22:01, Ralph Goers wrote:

> I have a test that is trying to use SLF4J 1.8.0-alpha1 and am getting
> the error below - which implies that SLF4J doesn’t work with Logback.
> Why isn’t the SLF4J binding backward compatible?
>
> SLF4J: No SLF4J providers were found.
> SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
> SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#noProviders for further details.
> SLF4J: Class path contains SLF4J bindings targeting slf4j-api versions
> prior to 1.8.
> SLF4J: Ignoring binding found at
> [jar:file:/Users/rgoers/.m2/repository/ch/qos/logback/logback-classic/1.2.2/logback-classic-1.2.2.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
> SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#ignoredBindings for an
> explanation.
>
> Ralph

Re: Logback doesn't work with SLF4J?

Ceki Gulcu

While easier on the short run, it would be even more confusing on the
long run to have two distinct methods of binding.

In case of logback, it has not yet caught up with slf4j 1.8.x. However,
this will be remedied some time in the near future. Presumably, the same
will be true for log4j v2.

In case of Gossip, I don't have a good response.